E/M Multi-Specialty Coder:
This is a part-time, temporary, remote position for experienced, certified professional coders with extensive knowledge of E/M service coding for multi-specialties, multi-specialty surgeries and reports to the Professional Coding Manager of Altegra Health’s Provider Coding & Audit Division.
- Reviewing patient medical records to assign appropriate levels for E/M services, minor procedures, modifiers and diagnosis for multi-specialties.
- Utilizing knowledge and exercising professional judgment regarding medical terminology, disease processes and pharmacology in the assignment of numeric codes under the applicable coding systems.
- Using the International Classification of Disease (10th Revision) Clinical Modification (“ICD-10-CM), Current Procedural Terminology (“CPT”), the Health Care Financing Administration Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) and standards recognized under the National Correct Coding Initiative to assign correct codes.
- Provide detailed findings for each service reviewed on an excel spreadsheet or other customized report.
- Communicate with Manager on coding timeline task completion.
- Utilization of EMR’s to abstract documentation for coding.
- 3+ years of professional coding experience in multi-specialties with a strong coding background in E/M, CPT, Modifiers and ICD-10.
- ICD-10 coding certification highly preferred.
- ICD-coding experience highly preferred.
- Certification from AAPC or equivalent.
- Ability to accurately assign E/M codes in multiple settings including; outpatient office, inpatient, observation, Emergency Department and Urgent Care.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the following coding and documentation guidelines; 1995 and 1997 E/M Documentation Guidelines, Teaching Physician Guidelines, Global Surgical Package, Critical Care, Incident-To and Split/Shared Services.
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology.
- Experienced with CCI edits.
- Knowledge of federal and state guidelines on all coding systems and sponsored programs, i.e., Medicare, Medicaid, HMO/PPO.
- Experience using Electronic Medical Records (EMRs).
- Ability to work with strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently performing highly complex and detailed coding.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving skills a must.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel).